Mrs. Jani Nelson
Lindero Canyon Middle School
Room K 101
Math 6 High
Math 6 High uses the following
California Math Course 1; McGraw Hill
CA Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
* Ratio & Proportional Reasoning * The Number System * Expressions & Equations * Geometry * Statistics & Probability
* 4 single subject notebook (ONE for each quarter)------* 3-5 sharpened pencils ----- * green
pen -----* loose-leaf paper ------ * highlighter ------
* ruler -----**EXPO thin marker----* calculator------- * glue sticks------*stickies---- * protractor & compass (available in class later)
HOMEWORK: Homework is designed to provide
each student with appropriate independent practice. The extent to which
each student utilizes the opportunity to practice challenging skills will
be reflected in the student’s assessment scores. Homework will be
assigned and graded as well as considered as part of the Work Habits grade.
Students are responsible for completing all homework accurately. Checking
odd problems in the back of the textbook and online-- if posted. Posting questions on Google Classroom, if additional
help is necessary, is part of the homework requirement and assures accurate
QUEST/TEST PERFECTIONS: Each student
is required to complete a “Test Perfection” assignment after
every quest, or test. Quest, and Test Perfections are a separate
5% of the grade. I believe this assignment is crucial to the student’s
mastery of the concepts reflected on each quiz, quest, or test. I am available
before and after school to help your student get these corrections completed
properly. All Quest and Test Perfections need to be signed by a
parent or guardian. Students have one to two weeks from the date that
the quest, or test has been given back to hand in the signed corrections.
Your child’s grade is available online by clicking a link on my
website’s homepage to Aeries, our LVUSD grading program. If you are new to our school, you should be receiving information from LVUSD on how to set up an account. However, if you are still unclear on how to set up an account, please contact Mrs J. Mohr in our counseling office at email@example.com. She will be glad to assist you in establishing an account to view all your child's grades. Your student will visit my site as part
of a homework assignment in the next few days. You will also receive that
information at Back to School Night. Students' grades are updated frequently, usually every week.
Academic grade: The course academic grade
will be based on demonstrated achievement on a variety of assessments
including daily assignments, tests, quizzes, student notebook, and projects.
Work Habits: The Work Habits grade will be
based on completing homework and class work, and coming to class with
all of the appropriate learning materials.
Citizenship: Each student is expected to participate
in class and contribute to a positive learning environment.
The grade percentages are
Assessments (Tests/Quizzes) 40%
Project Based Learning (Projects & Unit Performance Tasks) 20%
Mastery of Skills Check (MOS) 20%
Courseworkn(Homework/Classwork/Spiral Notebooks) 15 %
Test/Quest Perfections 5 %
Students will be allowed a maximum of 2% of extra credit per semester.
Extra credit will be earned by answering Common Core-based questions available
on my website. The Common Core-based questions will focus on concepts either
from the current or previous lessons. Each time a student answers 50 questions
correctly, he/she will receive one extra credit percentage point up to
the maximum allowed. The goal is to offer an extra credit assignment that
will help them keep up with the class on a regular basis, and also get
them comfortable with the SBAC format. Please see my website for details
on the different ways to earn extra credit. Too often, extra credit assignments
are unrelated to the actual course objectives and are done in a panic
at the end of the grading period.
I will be available most mornings, except Tuesdays, to help students with
questions. I will be available at lunch at least two days per week to help students with any math problems. I am available after school until
3:30PM by appointment, only.
KEYS TO SUCCEED:
* Student and parent: Check HW completion, accuracy, and understanding
nightly. See Reminder Binder or web page for assignment.
* Ask your child to explain 1 problem and solution each day.
* Share your use of math in your job & daily life as it occurs.
* Model a positive and ‘can do’ attitude toward math.
* Help your child read & utilize text explanations and models at home.
* Utilize online resoursces provided by Big Ideasfor clear explanations and solution models.
* Contact me whenever you have questions or concerns.
· Be in class, on time, ready to learn.
· Follow directions the first time they are given.
· Be responsible for yourself.
· Bring supplies: 3 sharpened PENCILS, green pen for correcting, Spiral Notebook,
paper, glue stick, eraser
· Ask questions as they arise.
· If your question cannot be answered during class time, please
see me to arrange a time for extra help.
· Cheating is unacceptable and will result in a grade of zero for
the assignment. This includes, but is not limited to, copying someone
else's homework, unauthorized use of the calculator or copying someone
Back to Top
COPYRIGHTS AND DISCLAIMERS:
No materials on any of the LVUSD pages may be copied without express written
unless permission is clearly stated on the page. They may be copied for
school district and
non-profit use only as long as the source is cited. All graphics are courtesy
of http://www.clipartconnection.com. The LVUSD is not responsible for
information included in this site. This web site is the exclusive responsibility
of Jani Nelson.
Last revised August 17, 2018